Saturday, June 12, 2004

Juror #24601

If I know how my life tends to unfold, then I think I've just received proof that I will get this latest job for which I interviewed. I've been summoned to jury duty for the beginning of July - right in the middle of what will be my first few weeks at this new job should I get it. And since my life seems to be slavishly adhering to Murphy's Law of late, this means that I most certainly will get the job and then have to try and postpone the jury summons - only to get a new date which will present an even greater conflict that I can't forsee as of right now. This is par for the course: I've been sitting around the house with not a whole lot to do for the past two and a half months, but now that I'm getting really close to landing a job I get a jury summons. And the best twist of this Murphy's Law Moment is that I want to participate in jury duty. I've never experienced it before, I'm really curious, and it always makes me feel good to exercise a little civic responsibility once in a while. I'll probably postpone and then never get summoned again. That's what happened when I was in Arizona. They would always summon me for jury duty while I was at Notre Dame. I would postpone - or defer or whatever the heck Arizona calls it - for one of my summer or winter breaks and then never get summoned until I was back in school. Actually, now that I think about it, my life isn't as bound to Murphy's Law as I thought. No, that law is far too obvious. My life follows some other law that is steeped in a more subtle irony. Something like "The Law of God's Dry Wit".

No comments: