Saturday, June 16, 2007

Stunning Eleventh Hour Saves

The book I ranted about earlier managed to finish reasonably well even though the Big Reveal was exactly what I thought it would be content-wise, but not as dramatic genre-wise as I had assumed it would be. Meaning it was not as important to know the plot arc as it was to know the character arc and the latter third of the book made that clear and the ending was thus satisfying. Still made for an aggravating read through to that point, but not horribly so. Had I been editing the book, I probably would've asked for some sort of better intimation of that fact earlier on. It was somewhat there in that the characters privvy to the Big Secret kept getting irked with the main character when it was quite clear he had no earthly clue what was going on despite the truth being painfully obvious. But that just annoyed me more because there was no other story question for the reader to be asking that entire time. I'll have to re-read this book again at some point, see if maybe I'm just missing the story question since I obviously found it toward the end of the book.

Just in time for the end of the third season and as many staunch SG1 fans are trying to figure out if SGA will be worth their time next season, "Stargate: Atlantis" finally manages to acheive Viable Story Arc, and one that includes the wraith, even. Imagine that. Now my criticisms of the show will trend toward bemoaning the lack of subtlety and showing rather than telling in that story arc, but that's just me wanting to see the show Be All That It Can Be.

No comments: