Monday, May 31, 2004

Another Month Already?!?!?

Holy Cow, tomorrow begins the month of June. The month of summer, the month of my birthday, the month of our Halfiversary (Mark and I will have been together for three and a half years), the month where warm weather mostly decides to settle into Colorado and give up the strange 80s one week, 50s the next see-sawing of spring and fall. And let's hope that June also becomes the month in which I at last see the end of Unemployment.

So, catching-up. I didn't get the job I was really excited about; my brother's doing great and will be in Iraq in August after a couple months of training; my writing's in a strange "holding pattern" that I'm trying to break out of; don't see the movie "Troy" if you harbor any appreciation for the actual Trojan War mythology; do see "Van Helsing" because Hugh Jackman kicks just as much ass in a trenchcoat and hat as he does in that pleather-ish "X-men" outfit (also see it because it's overall a fun flick).

Now for the details; don't go on a week-long trip the week before your significant other is set to go on a week-long trip of his own.

The interview did indeed go very well. And I suppose I should be impressed that I even got the interview considering the two other candidates had PhD's and at least five years more University level instruction experience on me. Still, it would've been nice to have gotten that job. True, I would've had to face a decent amount of demons from my past to enjoy the experience and get the most out of it, but I don't like the idea of letting those demons linger much longer.

But there's an upside. I got a call from a company I had previously applied to with Kelly Scientific. They wanted a phone interview for a Technical Writer position. I obliged them on Thursday, at which point I discovered that they didn't have the resume I submitted through Kelly Scientific. No, they had my resume from Monster.com, the one I had fashioned in the hopes of finding an entry-level administrative assistant position with a biotech/pharmaceutical company. This same resume is so horridly set up due to it just being sloppily transferred from an MS Word document to the Monster format. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the worst of what I've got out there in "Please Hire Me" Land. And they wanted to interview me. And after the phone interview, they wanted to interview me on-site. I'm extremely jazzed about this job, and I'm also fairly confident in my chances of landing it (barring, of course, the appearance of another couple of PhDs and their hoity-toity five years plus of experience). The only problem is that the woman who interviewed me hasn't emailed me or called me about setting up an interview time and she's gone this week to the same conference Mark is abandoning me for. I'll probably give him a copy of my best resume to bring with him on the off-chance he bumps into her.

The week with my brother was a good one. We got to chat a bit about his previous experience in Iraq and his combat training in general. My mother didn't appreciate it too much, but it made me feel oddly comforted. I don't like that my brother's going back to Iraq. I don't like that they're going to give him a gun again and expect him to use it. I don't like that he will use it. But at least I have confidence in his ability to deal with the situation. And that goes a long way toward settling my nerves. It does nothing to change the fact that I'm going to kick his ass for a month straight when he comes back for putting me through this again.

The writing.... That's a topic for another post.

The movies were fun. And had I known that "Troy" was only called that because it served as a backdrop for some good dramatic representations of the lives of Hector and Achilles, I probably would've enjoyed the movie more. I think the fact that the whole Helen-Paris story was relegated to a thin subplot should tell you a lot about the historical accuracy of the flick. Also that the last lines as given by Odysseus were "If they remember my name, let them remember that I walked with giants. That I knew Achilles. That I knew Hector" (or somesuch). I mean, come on. People are lucky if they remember that the whole reason Odysseus is at sea in the first place is because he's starting his voyage home from the Trojan War. Don't even get me started about how they decided to end the damn movie. It should be explanation enough that I would have to provide a spoiler warning for those who know the history. The only reason to see this movie is to watch Achilles fight. Whoever choreographed it did a fantastic job.

And the last thing is Mark being out of town as of tomorrow. That's another post as well. Suffice to say, I'll be happy when this week's over.

No comments: