Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Joys of Unemployment

There are so many.  Truly.  Sleeping in.  Watching TV whenever you want.  Discovering the bliss that is twelve hours of uninterrupted video gaming.  But nothing compares to the ability to go on extended reading binges.  In addition to the books mentioned on the sidebar that I've been working through, I steamrolled through One for the Money and Two for the Dough by Janet Evanovich, and The Gathering Flame by Debra Doyle and James D. MacDonald.  Evanovich's Stephanie Plum mysteries are hilarious, though the actual mystery-threads in the stories seem bland.  Maybe that's because I'm used to suspense/mystery elements in scifi and fantasy.  Speaking of the Plum mysteries, I should mention a peril of unemployment:  setting foot anywhere near a book store with a credit card in hand.  I suffer this danger every Tuesday when I go to Border's for my RMFW critique group.  But I guess I'll deal with having a ton of reading material at my disposal.  There are worse things that could happen.  Such as the lowering of your television viewing tastes.  Spending all this time at home as made me far less particular in what I'll become a couch potato for.  Case in point was yesterday morning when I decided to watch the Travel Channel's special on the best Caribbean Resorts.  They were even so kind as to mention the price tags for a stay in some of these places.  I was more scared after that then after I watched Signs.  But the strangest thing happened when they did their little montage thing on the number one resort.  They interviewed the hotel manager, who happened to be Slavic.  No biggie, I'm sure they've got hotel management training everywhere in the world.  Then they interviewed the activities director, and she was Slavic too.  Ok, I think, no big deal, so he brought a team from wherever he trained with him.  But then they interviewed three guests at the resort, and they were Slavic.  Do you smell a conspiracy?  I did, if only to give me something to occupy my imagination for a while.

No comments: