Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Jury Duty

So I survived my first experience with jury duty yesterday. And it was a fascinating time. I wasn't selected to sit on the jury, but I wish I had been. If only to have the complete experience. It was interesting to see the process and how everyone handled it. The judge seemed to be having fun just getting to know everybody. He asked us all about our general situation in life, asking for more detail seemingly whenever something peaked his interest. The prosecution tried to see how we handled reasonable doubt, phrasing their questions in a way that made me think they had a few holes in their case. And the defense seemed to want a jury with members who believed cops harrass citizens based on their bumper stickers. I'm not sure if the prosecution or the defense cut me. I'd like to know, just to understand the thought-process behind the decisions, get an understanding of how lawyers on either side like to set up their juries. I could've been cut because of my science background. I could've been cut because my uncle is a cop. I could've been cut because I said that I would admit to a mistake I didn't make if the stakes were low enough and doing so would make life appreciably easier (we're talking about "who ate the last cookie" stuff here). I could've been cut because I'm a total babe and that fact kept distracting the prosecutor (Hey, it was a fun story idea to play with, so I ran with it when the questions turned boring).

If I had thought about before I was halfway home, I would've stayed for the trial (I'm pretty sure it was open). Not because the case was really interesting, but because I wanted to see the whole process. I wanted to hear the prosecution present its case and the defense offer its theories. I wanted to watch all the faces, hear all the word choices, see all the postures. It was a new situation for me, and the observing scientist within me just wanted to soak up every last bit of it.

I can't wait for my next summons.

No comments: