Monday, August 23, 2004

Really Sick, Apparently

I wasn't too worried about the nasty sore throat bug that Mark passed on to me until Friday evening. You see, every Friday night when I'm in town, I make an effort to go to Forward Motion and hang out in the chat room for a writerly Think Tank. We laugh, we pun, we make very bad fish jokes, and we ask and answer various questions related to the art and business of writing as well as writers' individual projects. It's a blast, and part of why I don't mind that Mark goes to play volleyball every Friday night. And after I do the Think Tank thing, I watch Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis and read until Mark drags his sweaty self back on home.

That didn't happen this Friday, unfortunately. Right about 5PM, I realize that the stupid sore throat thingy has decided to mess around with my entire body. Joint pain, fatigue, that hit-by-a-freight-train-out-of-nowhere feeling. So I curled up in bed, watched the early showings of SG-1 and Atlantis, took me some primo NyQuil and passed out. I was just awake enough to say all manner of odd things to Mark when he came back.

When I woke up Saturday and realized my sore throat was completely gone, I thought I was out of the woods. Not so. Things got horrendously worse on Saturday. After going through the usual morning routine of read paper, eat breakfast, do some journaling, check things out on line, I had to go back to bed. I spent all of Saturday watching the Olympics and moaning as I would ocassionally decide to roll over onto one side to see if that made me feel better. It was not pleasant. Sunday saw me feeling much better, but still pretty weak. I used up all my spare energy to do the laundry.

And now here I am on Monday, thinking for sure that I've got to be better, right? Yet four hours into my day I'm ready to call it good. I've eaten, I've done some "meditation through movement" thingy, I've journaled, I've showered (and shaved!), I've check my email, and I've blogged. Sounds like a full day to me. Here's hoping that I'll be able to last a whopping six hours tomorrow. I'm going to take a rest so I can hopefully summon up some energy to walk over to a nearby store and buy 10 notebooks for a buck (I *heart* back to school sales).

No comments: