Friday, July 15, 2005

No, NOW We're Having Fun

OK, so my uterus has been rock hard since Tuesday. I knew it was Braxton-Hicks contractions, and I'm supposed to lay down once something like that starts happening and see about timing the contractions. Hard to do when you're swamped at work. Since I wasn't feeling any pain associated with the contractions and had none of the other potential warning signs of preterm labor, I didn't call my OB.

Then I started having some serious lower back pain yesterday. Time to call the OB, and, of course, they hauled my butt in for observations ASAP. Hooked me up to a monitor that measured my contractions for a good hour and a half, checked out my cervix a couple of times. (Thus begins my campaign to get used to everyone sticking their faces and fingers where they ordinarily don't belong. I've seen "A Baby Story" on TLC. I know that delivery is going to mean at least three people staring intently at my nether region.) While I was certainly having rather frequent Braxton-Hicks contraction, nothing was happening in the whole birth canal area, and Andrew certainly wasn't reacting as if my bod was getting ready to push him out.

BUT, and here's why we're having fun, it turns out that I have a UTI. Which means I now have to mix meds. Two anti-virals five times a day, one anti-biotic twice a day. Nothing should be affecting Drew adversely, or so they tell me. It's just so strange to be on so many meds at once while pregnant. I can't remember the last time I was on two different meds before I was pregnant. It's been a while.

On top of all the crazy pregnancy stuff, I have to juggle a couple of things for tonight. A couple of weeks ago, I thought I would be spending tonight at home, watching all the cool SciFi premieres and getting lost in SF television bliss. Then the American Icon thing hit, and I decided to do that (the rides and timetables got finalized about an hour ago, by the way). And since we'll be back in town around 11 or so, we're going to make a night of it and crash the Harry Potter party at the local Borders and pick up our reserved copies. It's a good thing that we had to cancel our trip down to Denver to get Mark's telescope fixed and meet up with friends for dinner tomorrow. I'm gonna need my sleep.

No comments: