Friday, December 15, 2006

An Alternate History Yarn I Liked!

It helps that I found a book on an era with which I'm not overly familiar, much to the chagrin of my US History teacher. The book is Land of Mist and Snow by Debra Doyle and James D. Macdonald. This is the same team that produced the Mageworlds series, which I praised as the right way to do a prequel in my bemoaning the Star Wars prequels. If I had to muster up a critique of Land of Mist and Snow, it'd be that it wasn't long enough. They created great characters and really established the voice of the era with narrative and dialog. I wanted to spend more time with the story, but I thoroughly enjoyed the telling I got. They talk about the book here and here. If you've ever wondered what all the fuss about alternate history tales was, check out this book. It actually changed my mind about this particular subgenre.

No comments: