Monday, January 19, 2004

Bad Muse! Bad!

I was exhausted yesterday and eagerly fell into bed around 11PM. Only to toss and turn and stay awake until 2AM. The reason for this bout of insomnia? A fun bit of dialogue that morphed into a character who morphed into another novel idea. And the ideas just kept coming. The whole first scene is written partly on a scratch sheet of paper when I got up to munch on something and partly on the notebook by my bed. I still haven't seen what the notebook looks like - I wrote a good two pages in the dark. I'm pretty irked at my muse. I had a decent day of revising yesterday. It looks like I'm on track to (finally) finish the revisions for Part 2 this week. And I was able to do a decent amount of writing in The Masque on Friday. All in all, it was a good writing weekend, of the sort that I haven't had in quite some time.

Apparently my muse got a little carried away with the spirit of things.

I don't mind the new idea. Svink is a cool character, very irreverent, very unlucky, very fun to write. He's the sort of character who I can just turn lose in a story idea and see what sort of trouble he causes. All the while making me laugh internally and sometimes even chuckle out loud. And this is just after one scene. Of course, I can't do much with him right now. I've got two projects (technically three, counting worldbuilding) that have higher priority. I suppose I can use him as a carrot and Block Breaker (my "blocks" are project specific).

But I can't quite sing my muse's praises. I mean, 2AM??? She couldn't have dropped this idea in my mind earlier that day, say at 8 when I had called revising quits for the day and was playing video games with Mark? Work with me, Muse! I'm not good to you when I can't keep my eyes open.

No comments: