Friday, January 23, 2004

Brave New Scam

There's a new virus/fraud scam out there. It's entertaining to the intelligent receiver, but frightening to one who may not know better. It'll be from your bank or, as I just received today, from the FDIC. I got one from my bank on Monday, saying that my account had been closed. Curious, I called my bank to ask, "What the hey?" I was told that it was a scam (the return address of the sender - some name "@0-0-7.co.uk" - should've been a big clue, though the link the message asked me to click to verify my identity looked extremely legit, not that I clicked on it, just the url) and to forward it to the real banker guys for their investigation. I sent it on, laughed, and continued business as usual.

Just a few minutes ago, I got a similar email from the "FDIC". This opening has got to win a prize somewhere: "To whom it may concern; In cooperation with the Department Of Homeland Security, Federal, State and Local Governments your account has been denied insurance from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation due to suspected violations of the Patriot Act." And how 'bout this closing: "Failure to provide proper identity may also result in a visit from Local, State or Federal Government or Homeland Security Officials. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter."

If you get any sort of email from your bank or some banking official, call your bank to confirm it before doing anything with it. And let's hope they don't tack on a "launch upon opening" virus. Another big clue: the emails had an attachment that was in no way referred to in the email.

No comments: