Thursday, January 29, 2004

Crisis Averted, But Damage Done

The family crisis from this weekend was settled by Monday evening. I don't want to talk too much about it at the risk of spilling the beans to folks who are going to be told via other media beyond my blog. Suffice to say, it was handled to everyone's relief and happiness. Unfortunately, it was just stressful enough for my stomach to decide it needed to get back into the business of acid reflux. The crisis alone wouldn't have caused it, but added to the stress of my Pity Funk, my second rejection, rumors at work of layoffs and the resulting "should I get a different job" thoughts, and, last but not least, the possibility that I was pregnant (I'm not, but I didn't know that on Monday when the acid started churning with gusto).... I guess the effect of those combined stressors was just too much for me, and my stomach took the fall. I've got a prescription acid reducer that doesn't seem to be doing the kick-ass job the doctor and pharmacist told me it would. I'm hoping this relapse is like the handful of others I've had since I was twelve - they all required a few days to subside, and then they left me alone for months, even years. The worst it ever was before now, I had to munch on ice cream to soothe my tummy. I'll give that a try again. And Tums shall be my friend. My bestest friend.

No comments: