Monday, January 12, 2004

Lazy Weekend

I know that one of my New Year's Resolutions was to be less lazy. But it's too much fun to lounge around on the couch with Mark and watch movies and play video games. And now that he's getting closer and closer to finishing up his thesis research, there may not be a great many opportunities to have such a lazy weekend. So I took advantage of it. I would've done some revising in Saturday while Mark was at work, but my brief trip to the mall to buy Mark's gifts for his birthday and Valentine's Day turned into a three hour tour. I've managed to work out a way in which this was all Mark's fault. But it's flimsy at best and reflects poorly on me, so I won't mention it.

Plastic is evil. I am now fully aware of this. I walk into the mall looking for just one thing. The first store I walked by was Lerner New York, and they were having the most amazing sale. I figured I'd check it out, see what they had. I had thought I was safe since the last time I wandered into the store I couldn't find anything I liked. I wasn't safe. I was in imminent danger of Spending Too Much. But when the cashier rang up my total and said, "Wow, you saved $130 today!" and I hadn't spent more than $90, I felt good. Then I walked by Victoria's Secret. They were having a huge sale. There went more money I don't have (but you should see the really cool hose I got). Then I walked by Bath & Body Works. And they were having a huge sale. The salt scrub I got is magnificent. And then I walked by Victoria's Secret Beauty. And their sale was also gimongous. I don't want to think about the total damage I wrought. Suffice to say, it wasn't pretty.

I came to three realizations Saturday: (1) Sales are great, but evil when combined with plastic; (2) I'm truly blessed to have a husband who is fully aware of my spending evils and loves me still; and (3) my multi-million dollar writing contract will not come a day too soon.

No comments: