Monday, January 12, 2004

Updates

I've updated my sidebar. I had updated it not too long ago, but it needed it again. Mainly due to my epiphany about romance. I don't want to write it. Not as strict romance genre novels. I'll have romantic subplots in my books, and love is apt to be a thematic element in most of my books. But I don't want to write romantic suspense or historical romance or whatever. It took me a year to realize that it wasn't my cup of tea. However, the original love story behind Red Rocks will have to be written. There's just no question. It's too good. I'll just have to supplant it into one of my science fiction ideas. Or fantasy ideas.

This means I have 30,000 + words of a novel I will never finish as such. I'll take a deep breath and get over it. I hope.

As for the rest of my writing, I've mapped out what I hope to do with it this year. I'm finishing Human Dignity by the end of February. I'll allow a final readthrough to take me until March, but that's it. I'm not one for strict deadlines, but I'm getting sick of lingering. I also have a list of five agents I hope to query this year - barring a very long response time from one of them, or an acceptance. For The Masque, I've decided that this definitely a novel, and it's the next one in the que. For Strings of Betrayal, I really want to finish worldbuilding for it this year. And keep playing around with a few scenes and characters to get familiar with the world. I'm hoping to write it next year.

Overall, I want to devote more time to my writing, take it more seriously, stop being so easy on myself (meaning it's too easy for me to give in to a little bit of frustration and go off and be lazy on the couch instead of write my way through an issue).

Everything is updated, the goals are stated (in several places), the attitude feels better, 2004 awaits.

No comments: