Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Sky Captain and Superman

I went to see "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" on Saturday. It was a fun movie, if you ignored the fact that Sky Captain is a total jerk and his quasi-love interest is a flaming be-yatch. The faithful scientific side-kick Dex and Sky Captain's British commander ex-girlfriend Frankie were much better and interesting characters and didn't make me want to hit anybody. I don't mind flawed characters. I don't mind anit-heros. I have a problem watching a movie where I'm obviously supposed to be cheering for a guy who cheated on his girlfriend for three months--but it's OK because meanwhile (and not knowing anything about his indiscretion) she sabotaged his plane and landed him in a war camp for six months just so she could get the perfect picture for a newspaper article. And this revelation is handled in a "ha-ha, funny us, this is the best gag of the movie" way. But it was one of the few movies in which not only do I get to see the two figures in a romantic subplot deck each other (he knocked her out to get her safely away; she decks him later as payback) but I also get to cheer loudly for both punches. Still, it was a fun flick, and really cool in its presentation.

I guess Sky Captain also fell short as a loveable character because Superman was the original super hero to me and always will be. No one holds a candle to Superman except Christopher Reeve. It's very sad to have him gone, but there's a certain joy in knowing he's at peace. Godspeed, Superman.

No comments: