Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Brilliance in Disguise, I'm Sure

I've seen a couple of really dumb things lately. The first was a bumper sticker that said, "I brake for trees." Um, most people do. Part of that whole trees don't bounce off my bumper or pass easily under my car thing. Made me wish I had a bumper sticker that said, "I brake for large slabs of concrete." The other oh-so-bright thing I saw recently was a guy riding a bike, crossing a major road diagonally nowhere near a crossing while talking on a cell phone. I'm thinking Darwin Award candidate. I also heard about something stupid secondhand. A friend of mine also had her c-section incision open up a while ago. She naturally went to the ER when she noticed the thing was bleeding. The wise tech who triaged her wrote "heavy vaginal bleeding" down on the white board. Now, I may not have taken anatomy, but I'm pretty sure there's a world of difference between the abodminal area where they cut for a c-section and the area where babies come out naturally.

People constantly amaze me with their lack of intelligence, but thankfully they also regularly astound me with their kindness and brilliance. So I guess it all evens out in the end. But those lapses can sure make you wonder about the world sometimes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I checked my atlas and you're right . . . I should study more. Or maybe less. Perhaps the bumper sticker was referencing Spaceballs in which case I like it. Also off topic but techs do ER triage out there? Or is a tech a nurse? Hope you're feeling better. Keep posting pictures of Andrew. Talk to you both soon.

Anonymous said...

We have people around here who duplicate the biker stunt a lot. How you can be oblivious to a bunch of cars is beyond me.

I don't even know why they write down the problems for people in the ER, honestly. Even when I had my boards (and everything was pretty basic), the doctors never bothered to look at them. *~*

Kellie said...

Dave, it was probably a nurse, but I'm never sure what title goes with who anymore these days, so I say "tech" because I figure the folks have a technical background or degree of some sort beyond your basic liberal arts education. Just laziness on my part.

Andi, I'm surprised so many of these bikers survive to see it more than once. Looks like the dumbest thing to do on a highway--besides walking directly in front of a semi.

Unknown said...

Remember these are the folks of "average intelligence." Enough to get the species propagating.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.