Friday, March 05, 2004

Hooked

So when Mark and I made the "I'll read Clancy if you read S.L. Viehl" bet, I knew exactly what I was doing. I told him since the Clancy book was 800 pages, Mark had to read two 400-page Stardoc books. I did this knowing full well that the ending to Beyond Varallan is one that you can't just walk away from. I remember mentally snickering when we agreed on the reading deal, eager for the moment he would get to the last page of the second book.

It happened last night.

As I steamrolled through Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Chosen, I saw that Mark was getting closer and closer to finishing. When he was a few pages away, one big shock was revealed and he made a "hey, wait a minute" comment. I could barely contain my evil laughter. Then he finished the book, and, without a word, got out of bed, walked to the study, and came back with the third book, muttering, "It doesn't make sense. Why? Why? Stupid characters." He told me he had to read the third book if only to explain the ending of the second. I suppressed maniacal laughter again, because an explanation is not immediately forthcoming in book three. Poor hubby read about 80 pages, trying to get the explanation and muttering more when he didn't get it.

I'd say Mark is now well and hooked on the Stardoc novels. Just as I knew he would be after Beyond Varallan. I too remember reading Endurance and muttering vile curses upon Sheila as I furiously read that book and ignored my own writing, short-changed as much of my sleep as I dared, and delayed the eating of meals as long as possible. Her books are bad for my health. Very bad.

No comments: