Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Oddities

OK, job-hunting means you have to get your jollies in the oddest places. The usual things might not be as amusing as they were before becuase, well, you have no job any more. And that's bound to put a pall over things, even if the job sucked. I suppose that might explain why Mark and I stayed up past midnight discussing what various tales were parodied in a few Simpsons episodes. Most likely everyone remembers the Bible Stories (Milhouse becomes Moses, Homer and Marge become Adam and Eve, and Bart battles Nelson in David and Goliath II). Mark and I remembered those no problem, but we were stumped on a couple of later episodes that spoofed tales from the public domain and American history lore. So after much poking and prodding of our memories, I finally announced that we had to go look it up on line or else I would never get to sleep. The amusement here was in remembering our favorite episodes. I laughed very hard when Mark reminded me about the scene where a naked Homer slides up the sloped glass ceiling of a church - while a service is in session, no less.

I also felt my fancy tickled ever so slightly this morning when I decided to grab a Linkin Park CD for the car. I have both Hybrid Theory and Meteora. Meteora absolutely floored me with its coolness. Sure, one of the lead singers often screams out you in a "I'm going to lose my voice in the next five years because of this" voice, but for the most part it works. But Hybrid Theory never appealed to me in the same way. I reasoned that it might have been because I first listened to it while reading some of Kushiel's Chosen and that music, good though it may be, does not go with that book. So I decided to listen to the album in the car on my way to and from my soon to be non-existant job. And darned if that CD didn't sound a heck of a lot better than I remembered from my previous listening. Moral of the story: location, location, location. And rap/metal music doesn't go well with renaissance-time fantasy. At least not to my ears.

And the final amusement of the day for me was looking at the Blogger banner up top of my blog. Under the two little adverts, there's a line that says "Related searches" and lists a few things that either would bring up my blog in a google search or some bot determined readers of my blog might want to do a google search on. One of the strings was, I kid you not, "backstreet boy fan fiction". My internet experience is now complete.

No comments: