Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Look, Ma! No More than 3.5K Words!

I write this with Drew grousing in my lap. Seems Ol' Pukey decided to follow last night's fireworks with generally longterm fussiness associated with a feaver (low-grade). So it'll be a quickie post.

Gentle readers, you may not believe this, but I have written a standalone short story that came in at 3,494 words first draft. Finished it Sunday night. Needs some revision, but nothing horrible. And, even more unbelieveable, this story is completely standalone. No epic connections, no to be continueds, no further stories for the characters. I'm extraordinarily proud of myself and happy with the end product. I'm also trying like mad to see if I can shake another such idea out of the muse and build a backlist of short fiction to keep ready for submission. And to see if I can do a better job of not sacrificing progress on my bigger projects in the creation of said backlist.

But, just thought I'd share my litterally little accomplishment.

No comments: