Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Final Countdown

OK, I'm going to have that song stuck in my head. And, really, I suppose that it's not the most appropriate title. Oh, well. It'll suffice.

My alert readers will have noticed that the countdown at the top of my website has skipped ahead a day. That's because Mark's set the date for his thesis defense: July 13. Now, while this will be a glorious day for Mark and his stress level, it isn't quite the miraculous date we had thought it would be. He won't start earning a postdoc salary until Aug 15. And then there's that teeny, tiny matter of, you know, getting a job using that bad-ass degree he'll officially have in his hands as of Aug 15. As soon as we get some dates on that front, I'll be putting up another countdown, more for my own pratical use than for any uplifting effect. As soon as we get a date for a new job and start putting the move into the works (even if we stay here, we'll be moving into a house), I'll need to keep close track of the days so I know how much time I've got left to get us packed up and shipped out.

Did I mention my daycare provider has been hinting at retiring in August?

There's insanity lurking right around the corner, I can feel it.

Still, July 13 will bring a great relief to all of us. Any bets as to whether or not Mark will be coherent for any appreciable amount of time after we put Drew to bed that night? To help educate those bets, we have half a bottle of tequila in our liquor cabinet. Call Vegas for the odds!

No comments: