Thursday, August 21, 2003

Amusing

I read yesterday that Ashcroft is taking the Patriot Act on "tour". All seriousness about the problems surrounding this legislation aside, I just couldn't help but laugh at the notion of taking the Act on tour. I can see it now....

The lights fade to black. A spotlight starts flashing around the podium. The "pump-you-up" strains of the Rocky theme trickle out of some speakers and gradually gain volume. And then the announcer booms in true "Let's get ready to rumble fashion:"

"And now, straight from DC on its Great American Tour, the little legislation that could....the Patriot Act!"

The lights come up and the music swells. Ashcroft waves as he wheels a plexiglass box containing some papers to podium. Then he begins his infamous ventriloquism act:

"Hi, I'm the Patriot Act. I've been saving the US from terrorists all day. Boy am I tired."

Amused chuckles.

Methinks Ashcroft is going to find a much tougher crowd than he expects.

No comments: