Saturday, August 16, 2003

Revising, Worldbuilding, and an Attempt at Something New

I'm in the middle of Red Rocks, and it's starting to bore me a little. So I'm going to take a break from writing the new stuff today and see if that will help me figure out how to inject some more fun into that project. So today will be a mega Human Dignity revising day with forays into worldbuilding Velorin. I also started playing around with a short story idea last night. It's something that stuck in my head Thursday evening from a writing exercise prompt at Forward Motion. Turns out I even mis-read the prompt. I thought it read that you were listening to the ship's self-destruct sequence and it suddenly stopped at 6 - write about why. But it was supposed to be a prompt that you were listening to the ship's launch sequence and it suddenly stopped at 6. It was too late, though. The story idea based on a ship about to be destroyed stuck with me. And I finally agreed to start writing it and see where it took me last night. I've even written it in first person, another extremely new thing for me. I figured I might as well make my first experiment with the short-story world really different from my novels. So I may not write all that many new words Red Rocks this weekend, but I'm still going to get a lot done.

No comments: