Monday, August 18, 2003

The Last Band-Aid Has Fallen

For the past four years, I have been applying very small bandages to the cuts on my faith, hoping they would hold and magically heal the gashes when I wasn't looking. Instead, the wounds grew even worse while I wasn't looking. Teresa posted about a suddenly found Catholic document that may or may not be the lynch pin of the lay people's case against the Catholic Church's molestation cover-up. And damned if that post and the subsequent comments didn't just up and rip off the last Band-Aid I had protecting my Catholic faith. Enter the tidal wave of repressed bitterness and anger that has been building since I started to see inconsistencies and hypocrises in the Church (which any good thousand-year-old institution is bound to have). And I let that wave flood Teresa's comments. For that I apologize.

Please excuse me while I go off into a corner and cry and try to remember why I've always loved the Profession of Faith and why I've kept insisting that I am Catholic.

No comments: