Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Background Music It Ain't

Last night I remembered someting I had meant to blog about two weeks ago. I was very happy forgetting about this particular thing because it involves bad music. Two weeks ago, I found myself twitching during my critique group meeting at a local Borders. The background music was a little louder than usual. And the songs were recognizable, cheesy 80s tunes - but remade in reggae and funk. It was painful to hear. I'm a child of the 80s and I loved the cheesy music that decade produced. But these were not reggae bands, and covering one of those songs in such a fashion is just...wrong. It was a terrible experience to recognize the original song, perk up the ears to listen and wallow in 80s nostalgia, and then to be brutally tortured with, "Ya, who's gonna take ya home, mon."

Why did I remember I wanted to blog about this last night? They were playing the same album at last night's crit group session. If they're playing it the next time we have a meeting, we will not suffer silently.

No comments: