Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Priorities, Anyone?

OK, as a Notre Dame and Colorado alumna, I'm very used to football and athletic programs in general dominating a school. That's not why I went to ND, though. I went because I wanted to study biochemistry and ND has a great program in that. I went because I wanted to join a research lab as an undergrad and ND has an excellent undergrad research program. I went because I wanted a campus where I felt at home and ND has to be one of the friendliest and most welcoming campuses I've seen. Before I accepted ND's offer of admission, I had no idea who Lou Holtz was. I had no idea who Ron Paulus was (and, let me tell you, I would've been much happier never knowing about that piece of work). During the orientation weekend, Lou Holtz himself gave a speech to the incoming freshmen, telling us that the football players were just normal students like us. They ate at the same dining hall, they went to the same classes, yadda, yadda, yadda. I believed the man for two whole days until I went to work at the dining hall and manned the athlete's dining area (separate because the dining hall closed at 7 and practice for most if not all of the athletics on campus ended right about that time). The food was much better for the "training table," as it was called. I didn't think it was such a big deal, though, since working there meant that I got to gawk at Pat Garrity on a daily basis (the man was also a biochemistry major - up until his senior year, don't get me started on that - with at 3.7 GPA and an undergrad research project in addition to being the Big East MVP; unfortunately, he was dating a volleyball player, who I also got to see at the training table every day).

Anyway, I learned pretty quick that things were different for athletes. They had better scholarships, they could miss a lot of class and still pass (I'm sure they had to do the work for it), they had an entire squad of tutors I couldn't have access to, etc etc. But I still wouldn't trade those four years for anything. They were a great part of my life. And as soon as I have money to donate, I'll be sending some in that direction, though with the stipulation that it only goes to the College of Science. So when my alma mater struggles in a football season, sure I'll get miffed. But would I write and/or sign something like this? NO. What a waste of time and influence. I think of all the things that ND needs to make itself an even better university, and I don't think of things like criticizing the football program for "plac[ing] more importance on making money than winning games." First of all, as far as I've heard in college football, the only way to make money is to win games. The two can't be separate issues. So 400 of my fellow alums get points for stupidity. Secondly, of course the football program is focusing on bringing in cash. That's the name of the game at any university. Or are these Fabulous 400 thinking that in order to start winning games, the football program shouldn't concern itself with making money and that they'd be more than happy to pick up the bill should any revenue be lost?

I guess this (along with this, which led to my finding the letter in the first place) just makes me ask if they're scholastic athletes or athletic scholars. And if universities should be so focused on dollar signs that they are willing to sacrifice their educational mission to keep the booster, athletes, coaches, fans, and, apparently, storied-football-lunatic alums happy and donating. When I think about ND, I'm more worried about it's degree programs losing their punch then I am about it's football program. I don't know if that's supposed to make me a disloyal Fightin' Irish fan, or just smart.

No comments: