Monday, February 16, 2004

Non-Writing Weekend

So last week saw some interesting non-writing developments. Nothing concrete, but my resume was praised and deposited in a pool for a more technical job. I'm hoping this will be the job that gets me energized and engaged in science again - not in research, but in something more multidisciplinary. I'll have more to gab about on this as I learn more myself. Suffice to say, a lot happened in the job world last week. Things clicked loudly and quickly and rather advantageously. The last time every thing fell into place in this way, I had a job teaching high school science about three weeks after I started looking. Which is both scary and heartening for this round of Fate Steps In. Scary because my teaching job went the way it went. And heartening because I landed that job and I learned so much about myself before, during, and after that job.

Anyway, it was a non-writing weekend because I was a tad bit overwhelmed with how well things went in the new job potential. I knew that if I tried to revise or write, I would distract myself thinking about the new job potential. I know when my brain is poised to immerse itself in Overdrive on an issue. After spending all day at work on Friday trying to distract myself from overthinking the matter, I realized I need to bury myself in a book for the weekend (when I wasn't doing the Valentine's Day celebration thing or the baby shower thing - more on that to come). After hearing the name Jennifer Crusie in several internet writing-type sites, I decided to read the woman's books. I picked up Faking It Friday evening and jumped into it head first. Excellent, excellent read. Laughed out loud the whole way through. I got about halfway through it Friday night, got within 75 pages or so of the ending Saturday morning, then paused to run some errands and do the whole Valentine's Day dinner thing, (Oh. My. God. The Boulder Cork is an amazing place. I had the most delicious buffalo prime rib and a to-die-for bottle of a zinfandel/syrah mix. Mark continued his phenomenal gift-giving trend with a white gold tanzanite and diamond set - did I mention I love this man?) and then finished it Sunday morning before I had to trot off to a baby shower. To complete my weekend of Non-Writing and Non-Thinking, I watched Terminator 3 with Mark and then crashed.

Now it's Monday, and I need to start thinking and writing again. In fact, I'm wishing I had done just a bit of writing yesterday. Is it a good or bad sign when I try to give myself a weekend off, and I end up thinking how I could have done X, Y, and Z with my writing instead of reading or veging? At any rate, it was a nice, relaxing weekend. Read a good book, ate a good meal, drank some very nice wine, gave the brain a break.

No comments: