Wednesday, April 23, 2003

Dizziness

This damn dizziness is really mucking things up for me. The doc on Monday was the best I've seen yet about this. He actually took me seriously, tried a few different reaction tests, and told me I had some symptoms of Benign Positional Vertigo. So the dizziness is actually a problem with my torturous inner ear canals. A piece of ear wax or somesuch crystallizes somewhere in the inner ear and gets lodged in a positional tube - the sort that helps tell you what end is up. The crystal throws this all off, causing this vertigo - my dizziness. The solution: some odd physical therapy that involves specific head movements followed by two to three days of sitting upright. Even while sleeping. But this treatment has often cured people of this vertigo for good. So I'll take it. A doctor once mentioned this to me in passing, but this is the first time a doc has actually worked seriously with me trying to fix this. It was a good feeling. Of course, the PT is very specialized, only one person at my clinic does it, and she requires all first time patients to meet for over an hour with her. Which means I couldn't get an appointment until May 5. So I have to put up with the dizziness that's being unusually persistent for a while longer.

And I found out yesterday that dramamine is not a good idea to treat my dizziness. I was barely able to stay awake until 8:30 last night, and I slept the whole night through. So I suppose I'll have to grin and bear it. Maybe I'll be able to get so into my writing that it doesn't bother me. But it does look like I'll have to slow down my time line for part 3 and editing. Which stinks.

No comments: