Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Nasty Internet Scamming Scum

I just found out that there are viruses being attached to emails with the subject "Son's Homecoming" that many loved ones of our deployed soldiers are receiving. They sure know how to prey on people just to wreak a little more technical havoc. Meanwhile, this email prompts the loved ones to call the unit contacts they can get in touch with, trying to find out just when their soldiers will be coming home. And the contacts can't do their normal jobs because they're answering about 500 emails and phone calls asking "When are they coming home? Where are they now?" And the contacts usually can't answer either question. Oct/Nov is the surest I've heard so far.

Letter from Brad: But I do have happier news. Christina (my brother's fiancee) received a letter from him yesterday. She graciously typed it up (minus the mushy parts) and sent it out to his family so we could hear from him at least in some form. The letter is dated 3/26, postmarked 4/8, and she received it 4/28. Better than nothing. Here it is:

...Sorry I haven't written in over a week. As I'm sure you can tell by the news we've been pretty busy.... currently my unit is about 120 miles south of Baghdad. I guess I should start from the 18th when this thing kicked off. Shortly after midnight the day before we were woken up and told to get on the vehicles and break out our ammo. then all the sgts went to a brief where we were told about Bush telling Saddam that he and his regime were to leave the country. After the brief I informed my scout section what was going on and my company moved up to the breach site. We waited there while the enginers blasted away at the burm so we could enter. My company was the first of conventional ground forces into Iraq. It seemed like something out of a movie with all of the explosions off
in the distance from supporting artillery. After we went through the breach we set up a screen line as security so the following RCT's (Regimental Combat Teams) could move in. Since then we've mostly been providing convoy security moving north. The few reconnaisance missions we've had have all been with no enemy forces nearby. Ten days of war and the entire time has felt like a training mission. I'm telling this because I want you to know that though they say a war is going on, it doesn't feel like it and you have
nothing to worry about.... The only interesting thing we've seen other than occasional shepards have been destroyed Iraqi vehicles that either artillery or air has taken out before we get there..... Mail had just started to get worked out when we left Kuwait. Hopefully it'll catch back up shortly.....


Something about the phrase "ten days of war" is just tearing me to pieces, no matter that it was followed by "the entire time has felt like a training mission." God, just bring him home, please.

No comments: