Tuesday, May 13, 2003

When Bad Things Happen to Good Literature

Wow. I'm not sure what inspired this, but I'm betting it involved Peter Gabriel's "Shock the Monkey," a recently read copy of To Kill a Mockingbird, a recently watched tape of "The Island of Dr. Moreau," and vast quantities of alcohol. Or maybe someone just woke up in a wierd mood. Amusing, strange, and totally what I needed today.

Last night at 10:30, I realized that I had sent in my Colorado Gold Writing Contest Submission minus one very important component. A check for the entry fee. I'm still trying to figure out how they want me to handle it. I just love raising (or would it be lowering) the bar for all time bonehead moves. And then I spent the morning trying to figure out why a post of mine at Forward Motion ("Mammals are animals. While humans may seem distinct from the animal kingdom, biologically speaking we are not.") inspired a very long-winded rant about how evolution is not a proven fact but a theory and yadda yadda yadda. I posted my reply to explain that the classification system that places humans in the Kingdom Animalia did so a good fifty years or more before Darwin was born. Still waiting to hear back about that. The rant was rather abrasive toward me to, challenging me to provide evidence for my "chiming claims." WTF?? I specifically avoided talking about evolution and such and the Tree of Life because it had nothing to do with the original topic. I had only posted the "mammals are animals" bit because it seemed that the poster I replied to thought that mammals were distinct from animals, and taxonomy speaking, they are not.

As for writing, I'm jotting down notes for Chapter 5, and I'm thinking about diving into Chapter 4 again here soon. Don't know why I'm so afraid of this chapter.

No comments: