Monday, June 23, 2003

Language Breakthrough

Without realizing it, I made up rules for the Mayj language just by picking out location names way back when I spent some time on a map. And I think I've decided to keep one language. The one that would provide me with names is pointless and most of the names I've selected so far are in keeping with the Mayj language sounds and rules that are kicking into place. I like it when your brain kinda sneaks up on you like that and shows you that it had a much better grasp of what was going on than you thought.

Speaking of language patterns sneaking up on you, I've been realizing the past couple of posts that I like to used the words "just", "only", "really", and "very" often. And, most of the time, those words are fairly useless. I wonder if I have that problem in my writing. I'll have to make a note to look at that when I revise Human Dignity.

By the way, the fantasy novel is tentatively titles Chords of Honor and the world has the shaky name of "Velorin." I'm not sure I like the name of the world as I think it's already in use somewhere in the Star Trek universe. And the title sounds a bit too militaristic. Plus, I think that I like a title like that better for the final book of this trilogy idea. But it'll do for now.

No comments: