Monday, July 21, 2003

Back in the Saddle...

After finishing the move in this weekend, I finally settled down into the new place. No more weird sensations that this is temporary or something's not right. I decided to capitalize on this and revamped my very dusty schedule for writing. I also got a bit of inspiration to do this by reading a recommendation for a new fiction line. My ideas for the next two months are very ambitious, but it feels right. I thing I was also spurred into action by the package I had waiting for me on Friday. 250 business cards proudly bearing my name and the title "Writer of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Romance". How can you not try to live up to that? Especially when you got the cards to pass out at a writing conference where you'll be bumping shoulders with agents and editors and authors?

So here's my crazy writing plan for the conference. I'm going to have Human Dignity revised and ready to kick out the door (meaning a good query letter and a shorter synopsis). I'm going to (hopefully) have a draft of Red Rocks completed or very nearly there as well as a synopsis (or synopsi - one short, one a bit longer). And I'm going to have the first three chapters of Chords of Honor (ick, still not happy with that title) done and a detailed synopsis written. I have no idea if I'll be able to do all this, but I'm sure as heck gonna try and have fun with it. I want to have all this completed by the writing conference so I can give any agent or editor I talk to more than vague ideas of what I want to write and where I want my career to go.

So this week is the test run of the new schedule. I'm off to a good start, too. And I really feel good about keeping it up. Plus it'll be interesting to see how I can juggle writing projects. Something that I'll need to know for that great day I can make this a career.

No comments: