Thursday, July 10, 2003

Red Rocks

So I've broken the 10,000 word mark with my second work in progress. Feels good. After a week or so hiatus from writing, the fingertips are nimble again as I pick up where I left off. I'm even more involved with the story now. As I was driving the car to the repair shop (that's right, I haven't talked about my trip to Vegas yet...more later), a view through Red Rocks and the next two books in that trilogy just smacked me in the face. Only for two characters, really, but it was the two that I'd been struggling with during my hiatus. Remember my first entry about this book? How my evil henchmen, in less than ten pages, had morphed into a much bigger character than I had intended? Well, the muse had been teasing me that she wanted the henchmen to eventually get together with the protagonist's twin sister. And my logical self kept screaming, "But the man kidnapped her! And was in jail! It doesn't matter that he's done everything to protect his little girl. He's still not the nicest of men!" But the dilemma and a few scenes hit me in the car and nearly made me cry with the emotion that these two characters are going to go through over the three books. I know where that's going. And it's going to drain me. But I'm going to try my hardest to get their story right.

And another story idea hit me today. In the form of a bit of dialogue. "I'm from Breeding Pool 5. You?" No idea where that sucker's going to go.

No comments: