Wednesday, July 02, 2003

More Late Night Inspiration

My brain has been so energized the last couple nights. After four hours of moving boxes and unpacking things and so on, I collapse into bed and the brain just goes bonkers. Last night, I was thinking about strings again. One thing I had wanted for the magic of this world was for it to have elemental parts to it. And strings can do that! With vibrations, wavelengths! And this gives me a good idea for the "cost" of the magic. Headaches, faintness, etc. And this also gives me the scientific opening I was needing for Airen and the potential to continue this as a series. I think, at least. This is going to be fun. Now, if only the plot would make itself more clear to me....

And I also got slammed with inspiration for a barbershop song. The chorus and tag just kind of wandered into my brain and kept singing itself over and over. So I had to go scratch down the words and plunk out the notes. At 11:30 last night (thank God for headphones). I don't know if I'll do anything more with a song (like, I dunno, come up with the rest of the chorus and a verse or two) because I know nothing about composition. I've heard a little bit about how the really important chords will be sevenths (or was it fifths?) and that the notes will do other things at other key times in the song. I would just compose it how I think it should sound without any real thought to what I was doing. But it was fun to give it a try for a couple bars. And I do have a complete tag, so maybe I'll show it to Sharon and see what she thinks. I was just thinking about how there's not a whole lot of those good tongue-in-cheek barbershop songs getting out there as much now (you know, like "Who's Sorry Now"). And then the tag jumped into my head.

Well, I never did claim to understand my muse.

No comments: