Thursday, July 10, 2003

Here We Go Again

It may be time for me to write my congressmen again. Not that Allard will even read my letter, but maybe Udall will. Santorum opened his ignorant mouth again. Here's a sampling of some of his gems:

"Before, the right to privacy in sexual matters was limited primarily to married couples."

I'm sure many couples who are heterosexual and not married would be shocked to learn this. Including my mother, who has not been living with her boyfriend long enough yet to be "forced" into common law marriage.

"It listed "personal decisions relating to marriage" among the areas in which homosexuals "may seek autonomy," just as heterosexuals may."

Hmmm. We could replace "homosexuals" with "blacks" and "heterosexuals" with "whites" and drag ourselves back a few decades or more.

"In fact, I believe that Congress has an obligation to take action to defend the legal status of marriage before the Supreme Court or individual state supreme courts take away the public's ability to act."

WTF? Is Santorum saying that making gay marriage legal will somehow make heterosexual marriage illegal? Or is he saying that, regardless of the Supreme Court ruling, homosexuals participating in sex are still criminals and that allowing criminals to marry will make marriage a haven for....You know what? I can't even go anywhere with that logic. His idea with this is lost on me.

"Every civilization since the beginning of man has recognized the need for marriage."

I love selective history. Just because Santorum has forgotten everything but (primarily) Christian civilizations, doesn't mean they never existed.

"This country and healthy societies around the world give marriage special legal protection for a vital reason — it is the institution that ensures the society's future through the upbringing of children."

First off, calling America a "healthy society" is definitely open for debate. Next, he's equating marriage with procreation. I'm sure infertile couples and those who just don't want children agree with Santorum whole-heartedly. Finally, society itself determines its future, if you ask me (which Santorum won't, of course). Santorum even details the ickiness that is "the family" today. And he implies that gay marriage will make it worse. You know what? I'm not interested in what will make it worse. I'm interested in what will make it better. Isn't that your job, Santorum? Isn't that what you want to leave behind for all these children you're raising in your legally protected institution of marriage? A better world? Not just one that's steadily getting worse as you run out of groups to blame?

"There is an ocean of empirical data showing that the union between a man and a woman has unique benefits for children and society."

This is one of my faves. He does some very good hand-waving in justifying a constitutional amendment that would deny the life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness to same sex couples wishing to marry. Doesn't quote one drop of that ocean of data. If he were in the science community, he would be ridiculed and tossed out on his ear for a statement like that. If you want to add something to the Constitution, you might want to have more than that. Unfortunately, a bland and wholly useless statement like this will convince quite a few Americans who still trust politicians. Just point me to one study, Santorum, and I'd at least acknowledge that you're trying to back up your opinion with facts. Then we could start debating. Now, you just look like an idiot.

"The last thing we should do is destroy the special legal status of marriage."

Again with the legal status business. I really need you to explain this to me, Santorum. Because I honestly don't see how allowing homosexuals to marry is going to effect heterosexual marriages - espcially their "legal status." Are you seriously trying to tell me that my marriage to Mark will become null and void the day that my uncle can marry his partner? What legislative, judicial, or magical twist does that? I really want to know, because I wasn't under the impression that my marriage certificate was that tenuous.

It's times like this that I really wish I could hop into Vehlohrin. That world is so much better than this God-forsaken rock.

No comments: