Wednesday, July 30, 2003

If James Bond Were a Woman

He'd be Lara Croft. Elegant, sophisticated, British, and knows how to kick some serious ass. And she's got men hanging all over her. Of course, unlike 007, Lara doesn't hop into bed as soon as the interested party says to. She's a bit deeper than that. And, after "Die Another Day," maybe James is, too (although I really have my doubts because a hot spy in a monogamous or even thoughtful relationship doesn't seem to sell). But I must say I was surprised that they even tried it in Tomb Raider. And it worked. Who knew that an action movie would have an ending that would just rip your heart out and stomp on it, Akido chop it, dump it in acid, empty a pistol into it, and then stab it for good measure (hey, it's an action movie)? And it worked?? This is one to buy on DVD. Maybe I dug it so much because I felt echoes of the ending in my Red Rocks trilogy. And the soundtrack rocks. A couple songs are boring and/or repetitive. But it really is amazing for the most part. Especially the last three songs. The score for the ending packs a punch, too, and just makes your heart clench. It's like the "Forth Eorlingas" track on the TT soundtrack. Always brings a tear to my eyes.

No comments: